The celebration of our Nation's Independence means BBQs and picnics and spending time around family, friends, and food. If you dread navigating the picnic circuit because you are afraid it will thwart all the efforts you have put into your summer body. Here are a few options that wont get you off course. Remember real food is always best! If you aren't sure there will be healthier options available, take your own dish and stay in control of your options.
- Grilled chicken or fish: Grilling lean protein sources like chicken or fish is a healthy option for a picnic. These meats are high in protein, low in fat, and easy to prepare.
- Veggie skewers: Skewers made with vegetables like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms are a healthy and colorful addition to a picnic spread. They are also a great option for vegetarians or vegans.
- Fruit salad: A colorful fruit salad with a mix of berries, melons, and citrus fruits is a refreshing and healthy option. Fruits are high in fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Whole grain bread or crackers: Whole grain bread or crackers are a healthier option than white bread or crackers. They are high in fiber, which can help you feel fuller for longer.
- Hummus or guacamole: Hummus or guacamole are healthy dips that can be paired with whole grain crackers or vegetable sticks. They are high in healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
- Quinoa salad: Quinoa is a healthy grain that is high in protein and fiber. A quinoa salad with vegetables and a vinaigrette dressing is a healthy and filling option.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is a refreshing and hydrating fruit that is perfect for a summer picnic. It is also a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
Remember to always practice safe food handling techniques, including washing your hands and keeping cold foods cold and hot foods hot.
Happy Independence Day!